Applications for this call out have now closed.
Camden People's Theatre is seeking proposals for its annual 'Outside The Box' commission - a scheme which supports the creation of innovative new theatre projects, particularly those which connect with our local community.
In acknowledgment of the barriers to professional participation in theatre, particularly post-Covid, CPT welcomes the applications from artists of colour, d/Deaf and disabled artists, artist from working-class backgrounds - and from other backgrounds marginalised in the arts.
'Outside the Box' was launched in 2020 to support projects exploring what 'live performance' could be at a time of closed theatres. We continue to be interested in work that reimagines theatre and performance. 'Outside the Box' may also support projects that communicate meaningfully - and promise exciting cultural encounters - with CPT's local communities, with who we have worked closely throughout the pandemic period.
Successful projects emerging from the 2021-22 scheme include Pigfoot's HOT IN HERE: a carbon-neutral dance party and Adam Welsh's NO FUTURE.
What we are looking for:
- Work that explores what theatre and performance can be - and which connects to new audiences and communities while doing so
- New work: brand new ideas, or projects still at the early work-in-progress stage
- Work that reflects CPT's focus on questions of social, political or cultural currency
- Proposals that build on the radical, 'build back better' thinking our sector engaged in during the lockdown period
Please bear in mind, we are unlikely to consider 'plays' as traditionally understood, 'new writing', formally conventional work, straight monologues, or any work made according to the usual writer-director-actor hierachies. We cannot accept scripts with your application.
What we are offering:
- £4000 seed commission
- £800 for professional development / up-skilling
- Up to three weeks' R&D space in autumn 2022
- Dedicated producing support from CPT's in-house producer
- Performance opportunities in CPT's programme, where appropriate
- Mentoring from CPT team; marketing support in advance of public performances; technical support; support with access needs; dedicated support from CPT's Community Engagement Manager
- Ongoing development opportunities. Applicants will be invited at interview stage to discuss what they can achieve with the 'Outside the Box' commission alone; and what they may need further funding to achieve.
How to Apply
- Read full call-out for submissions (LARGE print available at the bottom)
- Complete an application form
- We can also accept video applications (via transfer or a dropbox link). If you would like to submit your application in any other format please email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss this further
Deadline to apply: Monday 27th June 2022
CPT's 'Outside the Box' commission is generously supported by the Paul Hamlyn Foundation.